Monday, May 11, 2009

Travel in Finland - part 10

I asked the receptionist to keep my luggage, and went out to the city center.

Actually, I went to the convenience store while I was waiting for the dryer. I wanted to buy an umbrella, but they didn't have any.

It rained off and on this time, so I put on my rain wear and headed for the central station. On the way to the station, I stopped by a camera shop. The strap of my camera, KLASSE, was broken in Tallinn the day before. I couldn't find any replacement strap, but the owner was so kind that he made it for me with Olympus's strap and rings! Though it cost 3 euro, it was much better than without a strap.

It stopped raining when I got out of the store. I went to the central station, then I bought a ticket of the overnight train. The destination was Rovaniemi, the capital city of Lapland. The ticket was the one for upper deck of a sleeping car. This train is famous for the newest sleeping cars, so I wanted to ride on one of them. I paid 101.50 euro for the ticket.

After booking the ticket, I went to the food court in the Forum to eat lunch. I had 'kebab with garlic potato and tomato juice.' The reason I ate kebab is that I like kebab very much. If you visit Helsinki, you'll be surprised to find a lot of kebab shops in that town. But the kebab in Helsinki is a little bit different from that in other cities, such as London, Melbourne, Tokyo, and so on.

Then I went to the pharmacy, since I hurt my ankle when I was walking in Old Tallinn. I'm not accustomed to stone pavements. A pharmacy is called 'Apteeke' in Finland. As I told my symptom to one of the pharmacist, she recommended me some backrub. It was 7.70 euro. How expensive it was!

(to be continued)

No comments: