Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Travel in Finland - part 5

It took about an hour from Helsinki to Porvoo and it's 53km away from Helsinki.
I felt long distance at that time. But I found it was not such a long way later.

After arriving at Porvoo, I headed for the Vistor Information.
Because I wanted to have newest map.
But the Information was closed, so I couldn't.
In Finland, town is not as town on Sunday.
A lot of shops are closed.
And I'm surprised that the price of hotels is sometimes cheaper in weekend.
It's quite opposite in Japan!

Porvoo is the second oldest town in Finland.
Many historical buildings are still remained.
And there are a lot of red painted wooden houses along the river.
When I vistied there, unfortunately it was cloudy.
If it were fine, I would be able to enjoy the excellent contrast of red houses and blue sky.
Even when it was cloudy, it was worth to see.

By the way, it was not only red painted wooden houses but also slopes that counts.
Cobbled slopes and narrow paths.
When I entered one of the paths, I happened to reach the place where I found the beautiful lawn.
I enjoyed seeing small articles by the window or plants outside the houses.

I found the small restaurant named Hanna Maria.
This restaurant was introduced in Lonely Planet.
It was very delicious. I ate salmon soup with bread and salad. It cost only 6 euro.
I think it must be very cheap in Finland.
In this restaurant, there was no English menu.
But they translated by mouth.

After eating lunch, I walked around again.
Then I left Porvoo for Helsinki.
(to be continued...)

No comments: